When someone you love is injured in an accident, everything can change in an instant. Serious spinal injuries or traumatic brain injuries can require full-time care, and it often falls on family members to become caregivers. In many circumstances, where an injured person is unable to return to work, these caregivers may also need to worry about making ends meet while paying for necessary medical treatments.
The emotional and financial toll of caring for an injured family member can be difficult to handle, and it is important for caregivers to ensure that they are also looking after themselves. Here are some tips for caregivers to make sure they stay healthy and able to continue their important work.
- Stay healthy: Good physical health can protect you from stress and illness. Make time to eat properly, sleep regularly and get some exercise.
- Put yourself first: Set aside a few hours for yourself every day without obligations.
- Ask for help: Keep a list of chores and errands, and don’t be afraid to ask others to help with those tasks. Identify community groups or agencies that provide respite care to assist you.
- Be kind to yourself: Accept your feelings and limitations, and try not to be discouraged by negative thoughts. Guilt, anger and sadness are all understandable. Give your feelings the time and space they need.
- Find personal support: Get in to the habit of reaching out and connecting with the people in your life. If you do not feel comfortable talking with friends about your challenges, try finding a support group for caregivers where you can meet people going through similar experiences.
Legal help for the seriously injured
If your loved one can no longer work due to a serious injury, or if you have been forced to leave work to provide care, the financial demands can become overwhelming. However, there may be options for you to obtain compensation for the cost of medical care, treatment and lost income.
The personal injury lawyers at Jasmine Daya & Co. work exclusively on behalf of the injured, and help them pursue compensation. We have decades of experience handling serious injury and long term disability claims, and have successfully won millions in damages on behalf of our clients. We offer completely free consultations, so you can discuss your situation and get straightforward advice about your legal options.
Having the right team on your side can make all the difference, and our experienced litigators can give you an advantage in your claim. Contact our office to set up your Free Consultation at 416-967-9100 or online.